Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 55: KNIT!!!!! and crochet

To pouch or not to pouch, that is the question!
Please oh please don't leave me hangin' mid-shrug
I took my first knitting class last night, and started out that session watching the most diverse cross-section of culture (male/female/young/old/grunge/supersqueekycleenanddoneup) in one area while I crocheted just so I wouldn't be distracted from this interesting event by my yarn project.  After a while, I decided that I was there to learn something new and get out of my comfort zone, so out came the knitting needles.  I do know HOW to knit without actually having any idea what I am doing at all.  I now know for sure how to knit and how to purl, and thanks to uTube today, I can now increase showing a bar and blind increase....so that is cool.  I bought some cool yarn and some big honkin' needles to work with, and away I went on a learning swatch pictured below in the gray/blue yarn.  I also bought a PATTERN for a cute little shrug that the lady next to me swore was the easiest pattern on the planet (the fact that she was working with FOUR NEEDLES at once should have been a big red ball of yarn to the face.....NOT EASY for those that can't use four needles at once).  Today, I spent the bulk of my free time (still keeping in mind that I have the two kiddos home for the fourth straight day of illness....Felix puked this morning early, otherwise he would have been ON THAT BUS this morning) knitting the remainder of my swatch which no doubt will become a pouch tomorrow.  Sorry.  Didn't mean to spoil the surprise.  I then started on my *easy* pattern.  After ripping it out and doing it over several times, I understood the pattern and its abbreviations.  Once I got in my rhythm, I realized that I had run out of yarn.....MID-SHRUG.  So off to the yarn store with two sick kids following along as it really is in every one's best interest to have a mommy with plenty of yarn, and then I found out that they only had ONE SKEIN left in the color I was using, and they can get two more from the other store, but then I might be out of luck!  I can't shrug without enough YARN!  AAACK!  I also can't just move on as I am really quite proud of my first little project.  I WANT MY SHRUG!  The lovely person at the yarn store encouraged me to continue on my path, and then when I run out, we would do a lovely little stripe around the base of the shrug and the bottom of the arms....okay.  I trust in you, yarn guru!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with the shrug. My MIL taught me some basic knitting stitches while she was here and I'm working on a blanket with a wave pattern. I'm not sure I have picked up the rhythm as well as you, but I'll keep plugging away.
    p.s. Good luck with the sickness. We've been through it x4 over here. It will eventually end. :)

    ReplyDelete

I THRIVE on comment love! Please leave some and spread it around!