Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Alternative Firing

Kind of Horse Hair, partially fired first with copper, partially smoked on the bottom, and re-fired a couple of times until I was finally happy with the results. I omitted the pictures of the one icky pot and the two broken ones so there is no evidence of my indecisive approach to firing today. Bottom line, I was experimenting with something new in preparation for a class, and my ideas just made a big mess and necessitated firing again and again.

I also finished with floor wax which I don't usually use....kinda dig the shiny:)

I have an upcoming sale in three weeks, and getting everything in order makes my "to do" list quite long! I am also opening my online marketplace associated with my website on November 24th!
There are so many details beyond pottery to making a business work well!

I made these pots with wide shoulders to experiment with laying the pots on a bed of newspaper to smoke the bottom while decorating the top of the pot with horse hair. The shadow makes the photo of the finished pot look like it just grows from the background. I like the picture almost more than I like the pot itself!

Classic pots....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Thursday, October 30, 2014


Here are some finished cups with the faceted bases. I have made the faceted vessels and soda fired them in the past, but I am working to find ways to achieve similar effects with options available to students at the Eagan Art House. We have access only to electric fire.

These cups have bases coated in iron oxide and left unglazed. The finish is irregular and similar to dry effects in soda fire.

Check out my revamped website and subscribe to my monthly email newsletter!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Tuesday, October 28, 2014


I added ribbons to a pile of new clay pendants lat night. Pretty little necklaces are now ready to sell!

And I can't resist a picture of my big bowl of buttons!

I hate recycling clay at home by hand, so I make buttons an pendants from the scrap slab pieces. The only problem with this practice is glazing. Each and every little shred of clay I create then needs to be finished with glaze. It is way more my style to stock pile these little treasures before glazing until I finally break down and have to glaze 100 all at once. It makes me want to poke my own eyes out....so then I put off finishing the net group and the cycle remains quite cruel. They sure are pretty when all finished and hanging out together!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Electric Pots

These came out of the electric kiln today:)
My spiral mixed clay mugs look nice with their colored rims!

New batch of buttons!

More printing...these leaves are from a screen print with underglaze. I made a drawing of this amazing leaf that is very prevalent in Brazil, and then made a silk screen using that drawing. I then printed that on to the slab on top of other transferred slip patterns.

Sgraffito is nice, but I don't like the texture of the clear glaze over the black underglaze. I will use black slip next time.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ideas across form

I have done this faceting on vessels and jars...

And last night I did some sketching to pull the idea onto other forms....so in the studio today I started fleshing out some ideas.

I still need to add handles:

Need to trim the bottom and cut out little feet...

And I will smooth this join out once the plate has set up a bit.

Not bad for a day's work and creative play!


Monday, October 20, 2014


I am glazing and loading an electric kiln full of the final stage of last week's productivity. I am glad for the tried and true options that electric firing provides in light of the weekend's kiln trauma. Ahhhhh, just program it and walk!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Naughty Kiln

I was re-firing my wee kiln yesterday when I heard popping.....and yep, I blew up two pieces which took out my entire kiln load...

God bless angle grinders! I had to grind every shelf, and my kiln floor. Ick.

Here are my only survivors from the load...small treasures, but at least SOMETHING made it!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone